Pembroke Dck is a town in Pembrokeshire, south-west Wales, which lies on the River Cleddau. Originally a small fishing village known as Paterchurch, the town was greatly expanded from 1814 onwards following the construction of a Royal Naval Dockyard.
It is the third largest town in Pembrokeshire after Haverfordwest and Milford Haven. At the end of the eighteenth century the area was just farmland but by 1901 the town has 11,000 residents.
The Pembrokeshire Coast Path crosses the pretty Cleddau Bridge, passes next to the National Park offices and traverses round the waterfront past the Martello Tower on Front Street before heading uphill on the way to Pembroke.
The character of the coast path around the haven is quite different to that around the more rugged coastline and makes a great afternoon out.
The Pembrokeshire Coast National Park was designated in 1952. Along with the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia, it's one of three national parks in Wales. This is Britain's only truly coastal national park. It's a spectacular landscape of rugged cliffs, sandy beaches, wooded estuaries and wild inland hills, and a place of sanctuary for wildlife. Perfect place for a picnic with one of the many, beautiful escorts available in the area.
Another famous attraction to the Pembrokeshire area is the Pembroke Castle. Founded by the Normans in the 11th Century, the original fortress was a wooden structure, was built by Roger de Montgomery in the 11th Century and the present castle was built by William Marshal Earl of Pembroke and his sons between 1189 - 1245.
The castle is renowned as the birthplace of Henry Tudor, King Henry VII of England in 1457. It has dominated the town for over 800 years and it is still an impressive site to this day.